User Review( votes)
An anal fistula is an infected channel that grows at the end of the digestive tract. These develop due to infection that grows in the anal region.
People are very unsure of what to do after they are diagnosed with fistulas. Without knowing the result or side-effects of particular medications, they carry on using remedies without thinking twice. So if you have a fistula and very unsure about what to do then this article is for you.
Before starting, let me share a story with you. Mrs. Anita Nair was suffering from terrible pain while passing stools and her anal area was also red and sore. Instead of getting appropriate help from a doctor she left it untreated.
The problem worsened which led her to miss work for a couple of days. On her friend’s recommendation, she visited a clinic for fistula treatment in banglore where she was diagnosed that she was having an anal fistula.
Now coming to the point, if you have a fistula and leave it untreated for a while, then serious complications may arise. So it’s better to know the causes and symptoms of the disease.
Here are a couple of things you should know about an anal fistula.
Some of the common causes of fistula are:
- Lifting heavy weights,
- Diarrhea, etc.
Do you know the symptoms of a fistula? Below some symptoms are enlisted:
- Swelling in the anal region.
- Pain while making bowel movement.
- Sometimes smelly pus from the anal area is also discharged.
An anal fistula is considered to be recurrent. So if you think you are having any of these symptoms, then make an appointment at your nearest clinic as soon as possible.
Fistulas are easy to spot.
Doctors can easily diagnose with a physical examination. He may check for bleeding or foul-smelling liquid around the area. If he is not satisfied, then he can recommend you for further tests such as an X-Ray or a CT-Scan.
He might even recommend a colonoscopy in which the doctor will insert a camera inside the anus and look for complications. Don’t worry you’ll sleep throughout the procedure.
Without the appropriate diagnosis, proper treatment cannot be done.
Also Read: How to Get Rid of the Belly Fat?
Treatment for anal fistula
Due to the fear of surgery, people don’t tend to opt for it. There are different treatment options for anal fistula but they all include some kind of surgery. Mainly two types of surgery are recommended-
- Traditional surgical method
- Laser surgeries
The traditional procedure involves cuts and suturing which is considered to be painful. It requires daily dressings and takes time to heal.
It is a type of surgery that uses a laser instead of a scalpel to cut the tissue.
The most advanced treatment is recommended by doctors for the following benefits:
- Laser surgeries are also known as minimally invasive procedures which means it involves small incisions. This ensures a faster healing process.
- A patient recovers within 2-3 days after surgery.
- All the laser-based surgeries recommended by doctors are U.S.Drugs and Food Administration approved.
- Laser-based surgeries have a higher rate of success than traditional surgery.
- Laser surgeries are not as painful as “open” surgeries. But pain can increase in some cases.
- The laser-surgeries do not require daily dressings
- This most-advancement treatment reduces the need for frequent visits to your doctor. Although if you are feeling any pain or discomfort after surgery, do contact your doctor immediately.
These advantages of laser-based procedures make them standout. This latest advancement in the surgical industry has benefitted both the surgeons and the patient.
For the surgeons, they can carry out the procedure within half an hour. Hence, they can cater to larger segments of patients suffering from fistulas. While for patients, they get a better surgical experience which helps them recover faster.
There is a clinic in Bangalore that ensures a seamless surgical experience to their patients by providing the most advanced laser treatment.