What can pull modern children out of social networks? Modern education and culture workers give a definite answer – edutainment. Edutainment is a new-fangled term, behind which is hidden a completely ordinary, absolutely close thing. Namely, it is the inclusion of the game into the process of learning something. It is not entirely fair to say that this method is an invention of the present and a novelty in the field of education.
The meaning of this word, unusual for the ear and difficult for articulation, becomes clear if we decompose it into its component parts. The term “edutainment” was formed from a combination of two other English words: education and entertainment. Simply put, edutainment is nothing more than education through a game or with elements of entertainment, that is, this phenomenon, the essence of which is that learning should be interesting, entertaining.
The word first appeared back in 1948 in the Walt Disney studio to indicate the format of an exciting documentary series. But today, the meaning is a little different. Edutainment — education in an entertaining format, “learn to have fun, have fun in the learning process.”
Kamo Chilingaryan and Katerina Zvereva defined the following aspects of edutainment in their work “Edutainment as a new tool for development“:
Researchers believe that education has incorporated the best of such areas of knowledge as:
- Pedagogy (for example, pedagogical principles);
- Psychology (communicative theory);
- Computer Science (modern information and communication technologies).
According to the researchers, the main communicative theories on which development is based can include:
- Petty’s theory of persuasion, as psychological components (improvisation, living, relaxation, reflection) affect a person’s response to the message, and the degree of credibility of the message depends on the quantity and quality of the arguments and the form of their message;
- Bandura’s theory of social learning, on the basis of which human behavior is regulated by a complex correlation of external and internal factors, which are an excellent incentive giving rise to an immediate reaction;
- Rogers diffusion theory, according to which any new idea never encompasses a group of people as a whole for the same period of time, but gradually leaks through various communication channels, passing through certain stages (attention, interest, evaluation, acceptance, confirmation);
- the Jung concept of the collective unconscious, which allows instincts to exist and on the basis of which the activities of individuals are highly influenced by instincts completely independent of rational motivations of the mind.
Scientists are convinced that education uses such pedagogical principles as:
- The principle of the connection of theory with practice, because properly delivered training and education follows from life itself and is inextricably linked with it both through the source of knowledge and through the result itself. In the spirit of the principle of the connection of theory with practice, essay writing services online such as EssayLib play a significant role. Busy students have an opportunity to the overt crisis, buying papers they can use as practical samples.;
- The principle of consistency, as a person only has information and knowledge when he owns a system of clearly interrelated concepts, the sequence of which is determined by the internal logic of the educational material and the cognitive capabilities of the students themselves;
- Accessibility principle, as the availability of training, is determined by the age and individual characteristics of the students, the organization of the educational process, the methods of instruction used, etc.
Edutainment is not a new term, but it is a new and successful practice. Teachers confirm that students are much more willing to take part in class activities when they are based not only on learning but also on some creative fun. Edutainment is not limited to games.
A big role nowadays is played by VR and AR technologies. Such technologies are not cheap, which means students from poorer areas don’t normally have access to them. It is also evident that edutainment is more popular in more developed countries, as schools have better equipment and possibilities to insert specific entertaining activities into the learning process. However, some of the edutainment principles can be used even in school, where close to zero technological advancements are implemented. Willingness, curiosity, and creativity of teaching personnel is the key to success.