The entire world is aiming at weight loss it seems, people are looking for solutions desperately. You have definitely tired so many things, from lemon water to living on oats but results are not that impressive because living without good food is a rare sacrifice. Ketogenic is the new term and people have found it impressive.
You can even give it a try.
Basically ketogenic diet is all about putting your body in a state of ketosis where the body uses fat to produce energy.
Welcome To Keto Diet
If slimming is in your mind, there is nothing better than burning the fat, it promotes good health. Keto is here for all good and it gives you a feeling of satisfaction. On shifting to this diet, you feel more energetic, mentally and physically which results in:
- Low calorie consumption
- Least craving
- Enhanced physical activity
The good news is, a keto diet reduces the waist circumference hugely so your stomach fat is gone. Keto is a magical invention, it’s so accurate striking a balance while you are working hard for weight loss. You can achieve ketosis following this diet structure, which is a state of metabolism when the body is reluctant about using glucose from the carbohydrate to deliver energy.
Therefore while on this kind of diet plan, cut down on carbohydrate and sugar. This is when your body will have no other choice apart from utilizing the fat resulting in impressive weight loss. It’s also useful in treating diabetes, epilepsy and even cancer.
Ketones are produced on fat burning. Ketons and glucose are the two sole sources of energy used by the brain. Lipase is an enzyme which is responsible for breaking down the fat for releasing triglycerides. The fatty acids are transported to the liver and turns into ketones.
Also see: Importance of knife in daily life
The Ketones In The Body
Know the three variations of ketone bodies:
It’s a by-product of acetoacetate and if not used, it flows with the urine and your breath. Your urine test is a way of detecting whether your body is indulging in ketosis.
While there is breakdown of medium and long chain fatty acids for producing energy, the first thing produced is acetoacetate.
It’s a molecule and its role is unique, thus it’s considered a ketone. Its very important because it can float freely in your body via blood and other molecues cannot do this. It makes its entry into the mitochondria and converts into energy.
Know All About Ketogenic Diet
You must first know that low carbohydrate is not at all ketogenic and a low carb diet is inefficient in ketosis. It cannot compel your metabolism to produce and burn the ketones to produce fuel. Here is a look at the 4 basic ketogenic diets:
- The Standard Ketogenic: This is the most common form of ketogenic diet where you can consume 20-50 grams of carbohydrate daily, high fat intake and moderate protein intake.
- Targeted Ketogenic: This is actually targeted for your workouts so consume 25-50 grams of carb and 30minutes to 1hour of exercise.
- Cyclical Ketogenic: This diet plan allows you to intake low carbohydrate and ketogenic diet or quite some time and this is followed by having high-carbohydrate diet for a couple of days.
- High-Protein Ketogenic : This is all about adding adequate protein and mostly essential for athletes and sports persons.
- The Standard Ketogenic Diet (SKD): Most common and recommended version of the diet:20-50 grams of net carbs per day, moderate protein intake and high fat intake.
- Targeted Ketogenic Diet (TKD): “Targeted” for energy around your workouts: 25-50 grams of net carbs or less around 30 minutes to an hour before exercise
- Cyclical Ketogenic Diet (CKD): Similar to intermittent fasting “Down Day Up Day” or the 5/2 cycle, CKD involves eating a low-carb, ketogenic diet for several days followed by a couple days of eating high-carb.
- High-Protein Ketogenic Diet: The SKD alternated with additional amounts of protein that could be ideal for more elite athletes, but not enough to trigger gluconeogenesis.
How Ketogenic Diets Help In Weight Loss
Prior to shifting to this kind of diet, its important to know how it works to aid weight loss:
- High amount of protein intake – When you shift to a keto diet, the consumption of protein increases which leads to weight loss.
- Suppresses appetite – It keeps you full and your hunger hormones are not aggravated untimely.
- Elimination of food – When you cannot consume carbohydrate in large amount, your options of food decreases and this helps in lesser calorie intake.
- Better insulin sensitivity – Keto diets can improve insulin sensitivity which helps in better metabolism.
- More burning of fat – There is increased burning of fat in the body while performing activities, sleep and exercise.
- Low storage of fat – keto diets decrease lipogenesis, the procedure of turning sugar into fat.
- Gluconeogensis – The body turns protein and fat into carbohydrate for fuel and this helps in burning more calories each day.
Thus, a ketogenic diet is a successful weight loss tool, it’s highly recommended.
This is how you will feel once you change to Keto:
- More fit and energetic
- No mood swings
- Love for cooking and eating healthy because weight gain wont bother you.
Ways To Follow A Keto Diet:
- Say no to excess carbohydrate – Your aim is to consume maximum 30 grams of carb per day.
- Vegetables are important – try having low-carb vegetables but its important to have sufficient greens for nutrition.
- Have staples – You staple diet includes meat, cheese, eggs, oils, nuts, cream, avocados and oily fishes.
- Look for what you love – have a favorite keto diet so that you feel the right taste. You are free to do certain experimentations with your diet. It’s best to have a diet plan ready.
- Replacing minerals – Its important to add salt to your food, you can consume magnesium or electrolytes to maintain mineral balance.
- Be consistent and track progress – There is no shortcut to success so be consistent and wait for results. Track progress by monitoring after every couple of weeks.
- You can take supplements – To increase ketosis, you can consult your nutritionist/dietician and take necessary supplements.
Keto diet is best for people who are overweight or suffer from metabolic syndrome. This diet plan needs lot of discipline but it improves your health and the good change is visible. According to research, keto diet is effective than usual dieting. However, you must be aware of the possible symptoms of this diet, the most common of them is to start feeling tired due to the change in your food intake, if this is your case, this article from Proper Good may help you.
Follow a diet plan along with regular exercise for best results.