The sports utility vehicle is now the most popular form of transport for the family and that’s hardly surprising when you look at the many benefits that come with owning an SUV. As with any vehicle, the SUV is a considerable investment and one that demands some serious research before selecting a vehicle. Here are a few aspects to take into account when looking to buy a sports utility vehicle.
- Intended Use – Think about what kind of driving you’ll be doing; are you planning off-road excursions? What kind of terrain does that involve? Is the primary function family transport? The answers to questions like these will help you determine your needs and choose the ideal model. If you are thinking about doing some serious off-road driving, you can customise the vehicle; talk to the UK’s leading Land Rover specialists and see what they can offer. The Land Rover Defender ticks all the boxes for the adventure driver and with power unit and gear train replacements, you can create the perfect vehicle that is suited to its intended use.
- New or Used? – Both options have their pros and cons; if you can afford it, a new Defender with customised options is the way to go, while a 2-year old vehicle is still in great condition and with low-interest finance, a second-hand SUV is affordable for all. For prices, simply Google ‘Land Rover specialist near me’ and browse through the selection of new and used models on their website and when you see the perfect vehicle, you can book a test drive and check out the many features.
- Add-Ons – A list as long as your arm, from complete engine & gearbox changes to interior devices and gadgets to make the journey a little nicer. Specialist vehicles make for a tailored approach and whatever you have in mind, there are custom solutions to suit. Adding a small trailer enables you to plan those long camping trips and with a solar blanket and an extra lithium battery, you have all the power you need. Roof and bike racks come in all sizes, which enhances the experience. Talking of add-ons, check out this list of cool gadgets available in 2021.
- Diesel, Petrol or Hybrid? – Most people prefer the reliability of diesel power units and with regular maintenance, the engine would stand the test of time. Hybrid development is ongoing and a quick online search will help you discover when the hybrid options are for any make of SUV. As a fuel, diesel is very widely available, which is important when travelling to remote regions.
- Specialised Vehicles – Not something for the average family, rather for those with adventure in their heart, you can order a new vehicle and have it customised to suit your lifestyle. Overland expeditions would demand very special vehicles that can withstand all terrains and there is a UK Land Rover specialist with years of hands-on experience customising vehicles. Once they know what you plan to do, the specialists can make some suggestions based on their extensive knowledge.
- Drive Mechanism – The choices are 2 or 4-wheel drive and if you’re planning to drive off-road, the 4WD version is for you. This gives you the choice of running rear wheel drive when on the roads, changing to 4WD as the road surface changes; this can be done on the fly, which is more than a little convenient.
If you do a little research, you will be better equipped to make the right choice when buying the vehicle and let’s not forget about vehicle registration in the UK, which is essential. Once you are the proud owner of a new SUV, you won’t want to drive anything else and you can look forward to many years of luxurious travel.